On the upcoming app release and a change in the announcement strategy

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Sat Jan 30 12:26:18 GMT 2021

Hello Fellow Promoers,

We recently received the list of "noteworthy" changes for the 20.12.3 apps
release:

https://phabricator.kde.org/P666#2746

I will pre-empt by saying that the cumulative correction of small bugs is
tremendously important and, over time, what makes using KDE software such a
satisfactory experience.

However, reporting on them in isolation to the public has proven to be
literally counterproductive. For one, putting the effort into writing an
announcement about these changes is far greater than any PR benefit we derive
from informing about fixes to bugs that most people won't even have ever
noticed.

Then there is the matter "follower fatigue", a real thing we have experienced
first-hand: this happens when we overpost and lose followers because we are
flooding their feeds with trivial things.

Just by posting this, we are not overposting, of course, but it is better to
have consistent criteria in which we post stuff that is useful and/or
interesting for our followers -- and this is neither.

Besides, we have a lot of stuff coming up worth reporting about: FOSDEM, annual
report, Plasma 5.21, new projects incorporated into KDE, collaborations with
other projects, etc..

Getting back to the apps announcements and the proposal supported by some
people to spacing app announcements more, I say we give this one pass  and
instead we take on the task of setting up a calendar for big app
announcements, like we do for Plasma.

My proposal is to do a big announcement for apps midway between Plasma version
announcements. That way we would have complementary tent-pole announcements
every two months and it places the next apps announcement somewhere mid-April.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Paul
--