accessing a remote CUPS server

Ekkard Gerlach ekkardgerlach at aiai.de
Mon Sep 14 17:57:38 CEST 2009

* Wolfgang Jeltsch schrieb:

> > 1. insert the ipp:// -queues of the server to your /etc/cups/printers.conf.
> >    It's ONE cp-command.
>
> What cp command?

scp server:/etc/cups/printers.conf /tmp/;
cat /tmp/printers.conf >> /etc/cups/printers.conf

> Copying will destroy the complete old printers.conf file. Is this desired?
use cat!

> Where do I find the printers.conf file I should copy over
> /etc/cups/printers.conf?
>
> > 2. copy all ppd-Files of the Server /etc/cups/ppd/* to your PC.
> >    It's one cp-command.
>
> This requires shell access to the CUPS server, doesn???t it? I don???t think I can
> log into our departments CUPS server. :-(

You want all and have no rights? Your admin may mail you the printers.conf and
also ppd's. Are you sure you have rights to print to the queues?? - I doubt if
yes, you seem even not to know the name of your admin ...

> > Where is the problem? Its not much work.
>
> The problem is redundancy. If the admin changes the printer configuration, I
> have an outdated config on my client.

you want a sophisticated and all problems self solving system.
Do you think that such system works somewhere in the world?
At least not in big companies. May be in tiny home offices ..

good luck

Ekkard