"Unable to load a valid driver"

Till Kamppeter kde-print@mail.kde.org
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 02:52:53 +0100

Chris Howells wrote:
> Unfortunately the PPD doesn't seem to be as good as the one I had for my dad's
> old HP DJ 890C, which had options rather like the windows driver (Draft,
> Normal, Best, and different paper types). This one just has a few
> combinations of DPIs and paper types, so it's difficult to find the most
> suitable one. I wonder how easy it is to write my own PPD...

Your dad had an older distro (or he got that PPD from
linuxprintiung.org) which uses the "cdj890" driver for this printer:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=cdj890

Yours is for HP's HPIJS driver:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=hpijs

So the user interface of HPIJS is not so intuitive as the one of
"cdj890", but the output quality of HPIJS is much better.

About own PPDs, surf to these links to see how Foomatic works, and then
you can modify the Foomatic data to make more ergonomic PPDs. Every
contribution is welcome:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/contribute.html#data
http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic/README
http://www.linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/LinuxKongress2002/Tutorial/IV.Foomatic-Developer/IV.tutorial-handout-foomatic-development.html