"Unable to load a valid driver"

Kurt Pfeifle kde-print@mail.kde.org
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 20:12:13 +0200

Chris Howells wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Another problem ;)
>
> I'm using the hipjs-rss drivers in combination with CUPS and a HP DeskJet 3820
> (I got the PPD file from linuxprinting.org). I'm using the KDE 3.1beta2
> source packages and Qt 3.0.5.
>
> When I click on the printer in the printing manager, and choose "Configure..."
> I get the following message:

To determine if it is a CUPS or KDEPrint problem, try this:

   lpoptions -p <printername> -l

Do you get output or complaints?

> "Unable to load a valid driver for printer hpdj3820. Error message received
> from manager:
>
> The IPP request failed for an unknown reason."
>
> I can't anything useful in /var/log/cups.

What is the "LogLevel" in cupsd.conf? It should be "debug"... (You may be
able to change it with the KDEPrint interface in kcontrol or via
"kaddprinterwizard --serverconfig", click "Log" on left, select "Debug
information" at "Log level:"

Cheers,
Kurt