it crawls

Michael Goffioul kde-print@mail.kde.org
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:45:53 +0200

Jiri Barton wrote:

> I got it. Its some CUPS lookup. I added
>
> ServerName 10.2.48.3
>
> to my /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and it started to work like a magic. The way I find
> out this was I have another computer that isn't in the DNS here yet and when
> I started cupsd there, it told me it added ServerName ..... to the
> cupsd.conf.
>
> I don't know exactly why, but it seems like kdeprint does something that needs
> this directive or else it does some LAN scan or whatever that takes so long
> time. Well, you may know if you know the kdeprint internals:-)

The CUPS server broadcasts its printer using URI's in the form

ipp://servername:port/printer/printername

the servername is by default the computer name, or the "ServerName"
if defined in the config file. KDEPrint uses the server name referenced
in the printer URI to retrieve the printer information/driver (this
allows you to transparently handles remote printers as if they were
installed locally). Of course if the server name referenced in the
printer URI is unknown on your network, this may lead to connection
timeout. But all in all, I strongly believe this is a network/CUPS
configuration error, and not a misbehavior of KDEPrint.

Could you forward your solution to the bug #48900 and #48571 to
keep track of your solution.

Thanks.
Michael

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM