kprint from WordPerfect Office 2000??

Michael Goffioul kde-print@mail.kde.org
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 17:04:23 +0200

"Bruce Best (CRO)" wrote:

> I did a quick google groups search, and found a thread in "WP Office 2000
> Linux - How to change printer???" in the newsgroup
> corelsupport.wordperfect-linux. The thread seems to suggest that WPO2000
> gets its printer list from /etc/printcap. I am using cups, and haven't
> thought about /etc/printcap for years.
>
> I am guessing that the solution would be to put a "kprinter" entry in
> /etc/printcap. Does this sound sensible? What would such an entry look like?

The thread is pretty confused :-)
Anyway, putting "kprinter" into your printcap file is useless. "kprinter"
is a program and not a printer queue. The problem is to know how
WP2000 pipes its output (PostScript, I assume) to the printing program.
If it's using a hardcoded program like "lpr", then you're stuck...
except if you redefine "lpr" as a symlink to "kprinter", provided that
kprinter supports all the command-line options that WP2000 is using
to invoke "lpr".

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM