Webpage update-- to avoid breaking KDE

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Sun Apr 2 16:48:29 CEST 2006

On Saturday 01 April 2006 04:42, Andy Fielding wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On your KDE optimization wiki page:
>
> http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Performance%20Tips#id182322
>
> ...I tried this tip:
> > The KDE splashscreen
> >
> > Try disabling the splashscreen shown during KDE
> > startup. Currently, you can do so only by editing
>
> the
>
> > startkde script. As user root, modify
> > $KDEDIR/bin/startkde and remove the line saying
> > 'ksplash --nodcop'.
>
> Unfortunately, I didn't bother to read the next
>
> paragraph:
> > KDE 3.4: In the list of available splashscreens in
> > its control module, there are two options "None"
> > and "Simple", first of them turning the splashscreen
> > off completely, second selecting a very simple
> > optimized splashscreen...
>
> I edited startkde, rebooted, and tried to log on. KDE
> wouldn't start. I had to boot from a live CD and
> un-edit the file.
>
> How about updating your text so other people don't
> make this mistake? See my suggested text at the end of
> this message.
>
> BTW, I'm a professional writer and editor. If there's
> anything else I can do to help the KDE project, just
> let me know!
>
> Cheers, Andy
>  - - -
> Andy Fielding
> Copywriter, technical writer, editor
> Vancouver, Canada
>
>  - - - - - - - -
> Revision suggestion for "The KDE splashscreen"
> section,
> "KDE Wiki - Performance Tips"
> (http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Performance%20Tips#id182322)
>
> The KDE Splash Screen
>
> Try disabling or simplifying the animated splash
> screen that appears when KDE starts.
>
> For KDE 3.4 or later:
>
> In the KDE Control Center, click Appearance & Themes,
> then click Splash Screen. In the list of available
> splash screens, select "None" (no splash) or "Simple"
> (a very simple optimized splash).
>
> For earlier KDE versions:
>
> As root, edit $KDEDIR/bin/startkde and add a comment
> sign (#) to the beginning of the line that says
> 'ksplash --nodcop'.

better text is always good. wiki accounts are easy to get (you just create one
yourself) and after you have it, you should feel free to edit the page
yourself. :)

If you're interested in helping out KDE even more with documentation and
editing, I recommend subscribing to the kde-doc-english mailing list and
reading through the KDE documentation primer on l10n.kde.org/docs and the
thread at http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-doc-english&m=114031543031721&w=2
contains some useful information as well.

Thanks!
--
Matt