[Kde-nonlinux] Re: kde runs extremely slowly

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Wed Jan 28 17:11:02 CET 2004

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 10.25, Moloney, Gerard wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I've just switched from Redhat to FreeBSD(4.9) and decided
> to install KDE as opposed to Gnome which I'd previously used.
>
> Unfortunately, I am finding my installation so slow as to be unusuable.
>
> I've checked all I can think of and come to the conclusion, perhaps it's
> the amount of memory I have, 32M. I'm running on a 5 year old Toshiba
> laptop.
>
> Could there be any other reason, is there any solution such as compiling
> specifically for my system, having a minimal installation that could
> rectify matters.
>
> Previously, I had Gnome apps and the Opera browser running on RedHat6 and
> did not have this
> type of problem. I had hoped to switch to KDE, can anyone advise me?

32Mb is very light indeed.  However, I've run KDE on these older machines, and
found that although applications may be rather slow to open, they run
satisfactorily once they are open.

General tune-up tips:

Enabling FAM may help (the ports install it as a dependency, but don't turn it
on)

Try re-running kpersonalizer and sliding the 'eye candy' slider all the way to
the left, you will probably see some performance boost.

Make sure your machine has a hostname set, and proper entries in /etc/hosts so
that hostname resolves correctly.

Turn on softupdates in the OS (see man tuning) - in fact, go carefully through
that man page and you may find other things that help.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/