[Kde-nonlinux] Interesting in getting KDE to compile with Forte?

Waldo Bastian kde-nonlinux@kde.org
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:47:58 -0800

On Wednesday 13 February 2002 08:59 am, Garrett Conaty wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm working on deploying KDE (2.2.2 or 3.0) on Solaris for use with the
> OpenPKG distribution.  I've built KDE successfully using GCC 3.0.3 but
> always get various errors when using the Sun Forte compiler.  (6.2 upda=
te 2
> and 7.0 EA 2).  By point of comparison most other packages including Qt
> compile fine.
>
> I get the impression that the only compiler set which works with KDE is=
 GCC
> which is understandable, but I think that the Forte compiler may be abl=
e to
> better optimize KDE for use on Solaris.  So my question is this:
>
> Is there any interest in so doing?  I'm reluctant to do it just to do i=
t,
> but if there were a noticeable performance increase I think it would be
> well worth it.  Could any of the KDE gurus lend a hand?  I've got the
> ability to debug the build process and fix things that are breaking, bu=
> I've not worked on the guts of KDE and hence would have to overcome the
> learning curve to become familiar with the code/design philosophy.

KDE tries to be standards compliant so in an ideal world every standards=20
compliant compiler should be able to compile KDE.

Now back to the real world :-) If you report problems that you encounter =
with=20
Forte we will do our best to fix them in KDE. As long as these problems a=
re=20
caused by KDE not following the standards the solution is simple: fix KDE=
=2E=20
The trouble starts when Forte has problems with code that is actualy=20
standards compliant... we are reluctant to include patches to work-around=
=20
compiler problems since a work-around for one compiler may break another =
one.

But that's just speculation.. I have no experience with Forte so it's har=
d for=20
me to tell how good or bad it is in that regard. Just send the problems t=
hat=20
you encounter to this list and we see what we can do.

Cheers,
Waldo
--=20
bastian@kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian@suse.com