Future of KNM/PNM with NM 0.9

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon May 2 10:10:27 CEST 2011

On Friday, April 29, 2011 09:55:06 PM Raymond Wooninck wrote:
> Will, Sebas, Lamarque,

Hi.

> I indicated yesterday to Vincent Untz that he could push NM 0.9 into
> Factory and that we would apply the patches from Dan Williams.
>
> It seems however that a different direction has been chosen for the current
> KDE trunk (KDE:Unstable:SC). As soon as I update this repo to the current
> version, then kdebase-workspace will no longer build the Solid support for
> Network Management. This literally means that the
> plasmoid-networkmanagement no longer will show any network devices.
>
> In practice this would mean that users are forced to start using the
> NM-applet if they want to run KDE:Unstable:SC together with Factory.

You can use our kdebase-workspace patch [1] but it's temporary solution and it's
really ugly nm 08, 09 hybrid. We're still fighting it as we were forced to use it
:( I've updated it on Friday to fix spurious "Networking system disabled" message
caused by using enums from NetworkManager.h 0.9 as 0.8 (with different meaning).

It's really far from ideal, I hope I'll find some time now to help with nm 0.9,
Lukas is playing with his own implementation, maybe we can use his code as basis
for nm-qt 0.9 library (that can be used from KNM).

Jaroslav

[1] http://tinyurl.com/6gzv4ye