System-wide wireless connection bug

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 19:30:15 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Jirka Klimes <jklimes at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 10 of March 2011 07:23:56 Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Lamarque Vieira Souza
>>
>> <lamarque at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Good to know that.

>> > We still need user settings support for those who are not going to
>> > upgrade to NM 0.9 soon. Have you tested that branch against a NM 0.9
>> > snapshot?
>>
>> No. It is very unlikely to work due to D-Bus API changes, secrets
>> handling changes, ...
>>
>> I do not know if it possible at all to have support for both NM 0.8
>> and NM 0.9 in a single program. For a start, all NM lib major were
>> increased so it is not clear how to even compile such binary.
>>
>> I thought more about current KNM 0.9 support NM 0.8 and move forward
>> to 0.10 (or whatever) with NM 0.9 support.

>> > still need to figure out what kind of changes we will need to do in
>> > Solid::Control::NetworkManager (or its successor) to accomodate NM 0.9
>> > specification. Maybe it is a good idea to create a new networkmanager-0.9
>> > backend in kde://kde-workspace/solid/
>>
>> Does it help?
>>
>> http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/migrating-to-09/
>
> Hi guys,
>
> yeah, NM 0.9 changes the API a bit, so it is not compatible with 0.8.
> Basicaly the API is simplified and applets can save a ton of code, because they
> don't have to deal with user connections.
>
> Moreover, Dan would like to release NM 0.9 very soon (16th of March):
> http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2011/02/24/networkmanager-0-8-4-beta1-gets-all-up-
> in-there/
>
> And it will be in Fedora 15 too. Most of the stuff that depends on the new NM
> is already changed. But the KDE'a applet is not ready. And we don't what to
> let KDE users down. I think it's better to do the work right in upstream than
> just make patches for Fedora.
> I would suggest to create a new branch in the main repo for that to be able to
> have separate applets for NM 0.8 and NM 0.9.
>
> Since NM 0.9 uses just system-wide connections it is crucial that knm supports
> them. Is the cloned repo with the systemwide branch working? Could it be
> merged to the new branch for NM 0.9 created on main repo?
>
> Yeah, the API changes are here:
> http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/migrating-to-09/
> I am ready to help with the migration to NM 0.9.
>
> BTW, is the Solid code dependent on NM version or is it sufficient to just adapt
> networkmanagement applet?

Well ... except for missing new properties and lack of IPv6 support,
the main difference is WWAN; those methods no more exist:

org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Cdma,
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Gsm,
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Serial

Wired/wireless should actually work I guess to fetch those properties
that are supported by Solid.

So yes, some adaptation of Solid is required for mobile to work.