system-connections: changing scope from user to system deletes connection configuration

Lamarque Vieira Souza lamarque at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 00:00:38 CEST 2011

Em Friday 29 April 2011, Michael Biebl escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> first of all, thanks for working on getting system connections working with
> knm.
>
> While testing it, I stumbled upon a nasty bug:
> If you try to turn an existing user connection into a system connection,
> knm will silently delete it.
>
> Please let me know if you need further details to reproduce this bug and if
> you want me to report this to a bug tracker (*)
>
> Michael
>
> (*) What is the official bug tracker for knm

	Hi,

	I commented about this problem in my blog http://lamarque-
lvs.blogspot.com/2011/04/plasma-nm-bugs-fixed-after-462.html . There are two
problems with this same symptom (I commented only about the second in my
blog):

1. Until yesterday Plasma NM did not use Policy Kit to authenticate users and
silently dropped the add/remove/update operations for non-root users. It
worked for root. I have fixed that today and now it should ask for root
password before trying to add/remove/update a connection.

2. This problem happens even for the root user: the connection is not being
deleted, it is just the NM's ifnet plugin that does not emmit the "changed"
signal when you update an existing connection, then Plasma NM's configuration
module (kcm) is not warned to update the connection list. But the connection
is there, if you restart NM the connection reappears. This problem does not
happen if NM uses the keyfile plugin.

	There is still another problem to solve: nm-applet internally uses the id
field as connection's identifier, Plasma NM uses the uuid field. The id field
is the connection name in Plasma NM and nm-applet's connection editor. If you
change the connection name NM will create another file with the same uuid in
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ and keep the old file, but Plasma NM
will list only one because both contains the same uuid. Nm-applet will list
both since they have different id fields. I need to figure out a better way to
deal with that. I just do not understand why use the id field if uuid is
usually used to uniquely identify entities, uuid stands for "Universally
unique identifier", why use another id field? That field should be caled
"name" instead of "id".

--
Lamarque V. Souza
http://www.geographicguide.com/brazil.htm