KNetworkManager

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Nov 24 19:02:11 CET 2009

Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> Which version are you using?

I should have said that I am running Fedora-12, with KDE.
As far as I can see, I am running NetworkManager-0.7.996.
I have just installed knetworkmanager-0.9-0.2.20090919svn.fc12.i686
on my Thinkpad T43.

>> What exactly is the purpose of KNetworkManager?
>> I assumed it would have a GUI,
>> which would enable me to set some parameters for NM,
>> but that doesn't appear to be the case.

> It's in sytem settings, actually, or if you choose "Manage Connections..."
> from the systray icon's config menu.

What I meant was that I have read from time to time
advice to add this or that to /etc/NetworkManager/ ,
and I vaguely hoped that this information might be
collected together and documented in one place.

>> I just installed KNetworkManager,
>> and I have an NM icon in my panel.
>> When I left-click on this,
>> I am asked a question,
>> "Another NetworkManager client is already running.
>> Use KNetworkManager in future?",
>> but neither of the options offered seems to me
>> to be an answer to this question.
>
> NetworkManager (the underlying system) cannot have more than one client. A
> client is either GNOME's nm-applet, knetworkmanager, or possibly the kded
> module to interact from Plasma. Stop the one you're running and then start
> knetworkmanager.

I'm slightly reluctant to kill nm-applet,
which seems to own the icon in my panel,
since NM is working fine on this machine at the moment.

Also, if KNetworkManager requires one to modify the way
NetworkManager is running,
I am surprised it does not either do that itself,
or at least give clear instructions on how it should be done.

>> And I cannot find any documentation on this program.
>
> There's some avaiable on techbase.

Thanks for the pointer.
I didn't know about <http://techbase.kde.org/>;
it seems to have some useful material.