Knetworkmanager wireless problem

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Mon Nov 23 11:34:49 CET 2009

On Sunday 22 November 2009 14:47:26 Andrew Manson wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm having a bit of a problem with my wireless in that it cuts out every so
> often, really annoying when you're trying to ssh in from outside and the
> network is down ;) When I get back to my computer I can see that the
>  wireless network password prompt is open on my desktop, all I have to do
>  is to click "Ok" to reconnect.
>
> Is there any way to automate this? Or to tell knetworkmanager that the
> password is indeed correct and just to keep trying to connect until it
> succeeds? I presume that the problem is that Knetworkmanager can't connect
>  for N times and then presumes that the password is incorrect, hence
>  prompting for the user to confirm the password.

Nearly right, NetworkManager itself makes this decision, then calls GetSecrets
on KNetworkManager with bool request new == true, which pops the dialog.
Unfortunately NM does this for any wireless failure because with some wireless
security schemes it is impossible to distinguish an auth failure from any
other failure.

> I can see 2 fixes to my problem
> 1) force Knetworkmanager to never confirm the password and just keep trying
>  to reconnect
> ---or---
> 2) write a script/program that connects to the
>  networkmanager/knetworkmanager that checks connectivity every 20mins and
>  gives the network a kick so it reconnects.
>
> Does anyone have any opinion on either option? and if you think the only
>  way forward would be to go for option 2) then what dbus api should i be
>  looking into? if anyone could give me some direction that would be much
>  appreciated.

How about showing the dialog but with a countdown, at the end of which the
dialog Ok's itself?  This would give the hamfisted the opportunity to correct
their passwords and let you reconnect your ssh without too much downtime.

Will