Music Player - Needs

Andrew Lake jamboarder at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 18:15:18 BST 2015

So let's keep working at this so we can have a clear vision.

Local library - Honestly, if a modern music player can't show and play the
music you have on the same machine it is running on, I think we really
shouldn't call it modern. :-) To me this is an essential function. It
doesn't need to have uber-fancy, library management functions. But offering
basic functions to browse and play music by Artist, Album, Genre is
essential I think.

Just playing a music file - Since there is little distinction between a
music file and an audio file, I'd be fine with this being a secondary
feature. Easily supported, but perhaps without making it a primary feature
of the design.

Playing streams - With all the off-device sources of music today, it sorta
seems like we can't walk away from this one. I think we would need to flesh
out a little bit more what this music player would bring to the party.
1. Do we try to support the big popular online services? Access and
playback through our UI (which probably means api access) or just provide
an Online Music Bookmarks style feature that opens the online services in
an embedded webpage for these online services?
2. Do we focus on free/open standard style services? Might provide some
kind of principled approach to online streaming. Downside is the perfect
being the enemy of the good.
3. Internet radio style streaming or online music library streaming? I
think we have open standards for the latter, not so much the former.

Any other fundamental ideas for what this music player should or should not
be?

As the discussion progresses, I'll update the vision that was previously
captured here:
https://community.kde.org/KDE_Visual_Design_Group/Music_Player#Music_Player_Vision

Hope this helps,
Andrew