Help wanted to evolve KDEs music players

Stefan Derkits stefan at derkits.at
Mon Aug 3 18:40:28 BST 2015

Hello Konrad,

On 2015-08-03 11:33, Ing. Konrad Renner wrote:
> The same is true for a Plasma music application: if it uses its own
> system for ratings, a possible new "Plasma multimedia application"
> cannot use this informations and so a user has to define them for each
> application. And I think the user will not be satisified, if he has to
> create the same ratings for the same files, in each application he uses.
>

> I think to reinvent the wheel for each application cannot be the goal.

of course, no don't reinvent the wheel, that doesn't make sense.
But using baloo for ratings would only be the KDE/Plasma way, the even
more compatible way is to use the Freedesktop specifications and store
ratings in id3 tags/vorbis comments/ape tags/... according to [0].

Of course we would have to enable baloo to read those tags, no idea if
it could be changed to also write the tags (although media players would
write them directly via Taglib).

Stefan

[0]
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-specs/tree/media-player/specification.txt?h=media-player