New KDE Multimedia Leadership

Trever Fischer tdfischer at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 10 03:30:06 BST 2011

At this year's Randa 2011 development sprint, members from various multimedia
related groups within KDE gathered to code, discuss, and enjoy each others
comradarie.

One such discussion was the current status of the kdemultimedia module within
KDE itself. A number of interesting points were brought up:

* The current maintainer appears to be very very very busy and has been so for
a number of years
* KDE multimedia is more than just a single monolithic module, given the
growing number of multimedia applications not contained within such as Amarok,
Tomahawk, Bangarang, Kdenlive, and so forth.
* There was a time when multimedia in KDE3 was the 'killer app' for Linux.
* Developer interest in KDE multimedia has been stagnant for a noticable time.

The result of our discussions led us to believe that we needed to step up and
breath fresh life into KDE-MM. The brave Harald Sitter (apachelogger) was
nominated to lead the charge. As such, he has become Lord President of the KDE
multimedia module with the aim of applying the goals we outlined at the
meeting:

* Make multimedia.kde.org awesome
* Tear down the imaginary wall between “offical” and “unofficial” multimedia
applications
* Form an awesome unified KDE Multimedia community
* Find ways to create more amazing technology throughout KDE Multimedia
* Ascend to become creatures of pure awesome

The official announcement from the new KDE Multimedia team is available on
apachelogger's blog:

 https://apachelog.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/the-future-of-kde-multimedia/