4.0 surround playback capabities

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Aug 30 16:35:21 BST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Myriam Schweingruber at 02/07/11 11:40 did gyre and
gimble:
> Hi Joel,
>
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 17:52, Joel Goodwin <goodj at austin.rr.com> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>>   I have a capture device streaming 4 channels of live nature surround audio
>> Vorbis/Ogg at 128kbps to a streaming server.  I am trying to identify a
>> Linux stream player that will support and play this 4 channel audio only
>> stream.  I can get Windows Media Player to play the 4 channel Vorbis/Ogg
>> stream.  Can Amarok playback 4.0 or 5.1 surround?  If so, what do I need to
>> do to make it happen?
>
> Amarok uses Phonon for the sound output, so this is more likely a
> question you should address the kde-multimedia at kde.org mailing list,
> as it depends not only on Phonon but also on the backend and wether or
> not you use Pulseaudio.
>
> I subscribed the above-mentioned mailing list to my reply so you don't
> have to re-write something.
>
> Please all: include Joel in Cc as he is most likely not subscribed to
> either mailing list

I didn't see any replies to this mail Joel. How did you get on?

AFAIK, gst (and most likely vlc) will play 4ch audio just fine. I know
that PulseAudio will handle things OK if you pick a suitable h/w profile
for your device (i.e. something offering 4 channels or more!) so there
should be no problems there.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie