Phonon include header fix, once and for all

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Dec 10 23:12:10 GMT 2009

Em Quinta-feira 10. Dezembro 2009, às 15.26.48, Martin Sandsmark escreveu:
> On Thursday 10. December 2009 14.44.12 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > The reason is that it breaks frameworks on Mac, because the headers are
> > installed at:
> > 	/Library/Frameworks/phonon.framework/Headers
> > The p must be lowercase because of the library name.
>
> Excuse my obvious ignorance (as I have never really used a Mac), but can't
> that path just be added to the include path, so the real path to for
>  example Phonon/Path becomes
>  /Library/Frameworks/phonon.framework/Headers/Phonon/Path? Or does the
>  headers have to get stuffed directly into that Header-folder?

If you use the -F option to the Mac gcc, it will take

#include <foo/bar>

And will search for /Library/Frameworks/foo.framework/Headers/bar.

That's one of the reasons why all Qt public headers use #include
<QtModule/something>.

Of course it also searches all the other -I include paths, but the whole point
of a framework is that we don't have to pass all of -I$INCLUDE_DIR, -L$LIB_DIR
and  -l$libname. It has other benefits too. And you'd have to change all
buildsystems to have the extra -I flag...

The way I see it, there's no way around the issue. It has to be lowercase p.
(Unless of course we want to break full binary compatibility and rename the
library)

> > If someone wants this decision reverted, please send a patch to Qt's
> > bin/syncqt and mkspecs/features/qt.prf and make sure you've tested on Mac
> >  with frameworks as well as Windows.
>
> I don't have access to any Windows machines or Macs, but I hope someone
>  else has, that can help me test. :-)

Just ask on #qt-labs.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358