Konrad Materka, GSOC proposal

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Fri Mar 28 18:48:49 GMT 2008

I'm pretty sure it's your signature and the way you send messages
that's giving grief, so I confidently copy your message to respond to.
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Matthias Kretz <kretz at kde.org> wrote:
> SpamAssassin doesn't like me today:
>  http://vir.homelinux.org/stupid_spamassassin.mbox
> I didn't say whether the subtitle gets parsed in libphonon or in the backend.
> And I'm not sure at this point where it really should go. But ideally Phonon
> should be able to handle any media format, and that includes ext. subtitle
> files.
>
> For a start I'd put subtitle parsing in the backend. It's easier to move code
> from the backend to the frontend than the other way around.

Given the Xine has no way to decode just subtitles, I suppose this
means he'd have to add the functionality to like phonon-xine. Perhaps
he could do it in a such a way that it'd be easy to add to other
phonon backends.

Perhaps the ability to drag around subtitles could be in the frontend at least?

Ian