KMix testing (KDE4) round #1

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Sun Nov 4 16:00:50 GMT 2007

On Saturday 03 November 2007, Christian Esken wrote:
> after a long time of internal reworking, the KDE4 version of KMix in SVN is
> pretty usable right now, with the exception of global shortcuts. So it's a
> good time for running a check with your own hardware. I am pretty much
> interested in any kind of result, be it good or bad.

Hardware:
card0: HDA Intel with Codec: Analog Devices AD1986A
card1: Logitech USB Headset (snd-usb-audio)

card0 shows Front and PCM by default
card1 shows nothing by default

% amixer -c1
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined cvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch
cswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 464 Capture 0 - 13
  Mono: Playback 321 [69%] [-21.74dB] [off] Capture 5 [38%] [21.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Speaker',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 44
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 18 [41%] [-23.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 11 [25%] [-30.00dB] [on]

card1 shows two available Channels (Mic and Speaker), when enabled I get to
see three sliders to control Mic Playback, Mic Capture and Speaker with mute
toggle for Mic Playback and Speaker and Capture toggle for Mic Capture. The
only thing that's not working is the Mic Capture slider (it cannot be moved)
with a different mixer application I can move it and kmix updates the slider
correctly then.

I needed a bit of time to find my other channels that the soundcard provides.
The Channels dialog should probably be reachable through the menu and not
only the context menu.

Attached you'll find a screenshot of my HDA card with a few more channels
enabled. I think the alignment of the two controls at the right needs to
be "fixed" (just a minor visual thing, though).

Is hotplugging of soundcards supposed to work with kmix now? Because it
doesn't.

Here's how to do it:
connect(Solid::DeviceNotifier::instance(), SIGNAL(deviceAdded(QString)),
SLOT(deviceAdded(QString)));
connect(Solid::DeviceNotifier::instance(), SIGNAL(deviceRemoved(QString)),
SLOT(deviceRemoved(QString)));

void ...::deviceAdded(const QString &udi)
{
  Solid::Device _device(udi);
  Solid::AudioInterface *audiohw = _device.as<Solid::AudioInterface>();
  if (audiohw && (audiohw->deviceType() & (Solid::AudioInterface::AudioInput |
                  Solid::AudioInterface::AudioOutput))) {
    switch (audiohw->driver()) {
    case Solid::AudioInterface::Alsa:
      // card id of new device is
      // audiohw->driverHandle().toList().first().toString()
    case Solid::AudioInterface::OpenSoundSystem:
      // device string is
      // audiohw->driverHandle().toString()
    }
  }
}

The deviceRemoved udi argument cannot be used to construct a valid
Solid::Device as the device is already unplugged. So you should keep the udi
for all the devices in the mixer around to identify the device that was
unplugged.

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de