Timidity and arts

Christian Esken c.esken at cityweb.de
Wed Jan 12 21:11:04 GMT 2005

Am Mittwoch 12 Januar 2005 09:22 schrieb Ole Jacob Taraldset:
> Hi,
>
> This has probably been asked before, but I've been unable to find a resent
> definitive answer.
>
> I have a soundcard without built-in MIDI capabilities (VIA 8235) in my FC3
> box. I'm trying to have midi sound using timidity and the ALSA virmidi
> module. This works just fine when trying to run a non KDE midi program, but
> it does not cooperate well with arts, at least I'm unable to use kmid as it
> crashes. Hitting "play midi sound" (or whatever it says) in KDE control
> center plays nothing. The timidity interface shows up in the menu where I can
> choose midi interface.
>
> Is timidity know to work/not work with arts? Which timidity command line can I
> use to get it working?

timidity --help

shows
Available output modes (-O, --output-mode option):
  -Od          dsp device
  -Os          ALSA pcm device
  -OR          aRts
  -Oe          Enlightened sound daemon
  -Oj          JACK device
  -Ow          RIFF WAVE file
  -Or          Raw waveform data
  -Ou          Sun audio file
  -Oa          AIFF file
  -Ov          Ogg Vorbis
  -Ol          List MIDI event
  -OM          MOD -> MIDI file conversion

So it looks like -Or is your friend. I have never tried myself, though.

Chris