akode for 3.3

Stefan Gehn sgehn at gmx.net
Sat Jul 17 14:40:21 BST 2004

Am Samstag, 17. Juli 2004 15:25 schrieb Allan Sandfeld Jensen:
> On Saturday 17 July 2004 07:11, Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> > On Saturday 17 July 2004 03:08, Charles Samuels wrote:
> > > I want to just make sure we all agree that akode will be in the next
> > > release of KDE.
> >
> > Thumbs up.
>
> I don't think the question is if it will be in the next release, but
> whether it or mpeglib will be default for playing mp3s and ogg-vorbis (it
> will still play flac and mpc files)

I'd be all for it, as long as aKode works on the underlying platform (i.e. at
least on Linux).

> - aKodelib might not work on some platforms:
>   * I know for certain that the pluginloader needs a few fixes for non-ELF
> system (naively assumes .so extension). (HP-UX)
>   * For some systems the plugins might also need to be statically linked to
> their dependencies. (non-chained library loading)
>   * I am not sure all our supported platforms even have the dlopen/dlsym
> calls... (?)

Maybe in this case fall back to mpeglib on compiletime until all these
problems are resolved.

> - aKodelib is new and _will_ have odd bugs of its own, but atleast I am
> actively maintaining it.

Nothing KDE 3.3.x can't fix I guess :)

Btw, I got one remaining buglet. If you have a playlist with a lot of
non-existant files in noatun and noatun skips over them sometimes the working
files produce no sound anymore. It looks like noatun is playing them but no
vis display and no sound occurs. Restarting noatun fixes this.
It looks like repeatedly creating/deleting an aKode-based playobject causes
trouble. This does not happen with mpeglib.

Other than that I didn't have a single problem. Less blips, stable streaming
over http and also mounted smb shares (my mpeglib suddenly started having
buffering problems again, for whatever reason). Of course this only applies
to mp3 because I have no other files (a few oggs but not enough for real
testing).

Bye, Stefan aka mETz