Help: I need a proper method to detect 99% of all mp3 files

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Tue Jul 6 13:52:42 BST 2004

On Tuesday 06 July 2004 12:49, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> Well, the proper method is to parse the bitstream and see if it is compliant
> to the standard. This is both quick and reliable, and works with and without
> tags.

Well, except for the quick part.  ;-)

Operations like this are bound by disk speed, not code complexity or CPU time.

Unfortunately TagLib doesn't contain anything for doing authoritative
verification of mp3 files -- it mostly leaves this up to the mimetype
recognition being used by the software using TagLib.  TagLib does however
contain an implementation of MPEG headers and a mechanism for finding these
in a file that could be useful in such a tool.

See:

http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdesupport/taglib/mpeg/mpegheader.h?rev=1.4&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdesupport/taglib/mpeg/mpegfile.h?rev=1.27&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

-Scott