aRts maintenance

Michael Donaghy mdonaghy at cwazy.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 17:01:17 GMT 2004

On Thursday 09 Dec 2004 08:54, Marco Lohse wrote:
> Michael Donaghy wrote:
>
> > I think gstreamer looks like it's taking the lead. The gnome people seem
> > to be more or less behind it, and if arts is unmaintained as looks like
> > will be the case then you'll probably have to drop support eventually.
> > Any chance of
>
> I am really tired of hearing that some framework is 'taking the lead' or
> 'is the standard'. What is this actually supposed to mean?

Merely that I've seen so many more people saying that they like/are using
gstreamer than for any other framework.

> > freedesktop.org or something similar endorsing one method or other? I
> > think the benefits of everyone using the same framework are probably
> > greater than the benefits any particular system has over another.
>
> what makes you think so? Have you compared the different frameworks in
> detail?

No, just played around a little. However, the fact that no framework seems to
have emerged as clearly better and that I haven't seen any clear arguments
that one framework has a strong advantage to me over the others suggests to
me that they're pretty much of a muchness. But maybe I haven't been looking
hard enough.