Problems with arts in Suse 9.0

Jan Romportl jaro at philosophia.cz
Sat Dec 27 20:47:35 GMT 2003

Hello,

could somebody help me, please? I cannot use arts in my Suse 9.0, because once
this arts starts, it occupies /dev/dsp forever, even though I've set arts to
halt after 5 seconds being idle (I've done this setting in kde Control
center). This means that everything seems to be OK until I try to play
something directly via Alsa - for example using aplay. When I try
"rcalsasound restart", the resource is again available for alsa applications
other than arts, yet arts itself stops playing from that moment.

What should I do to make it work?

Thank you very much.

J.R.