BIC Problem with KPlayObjectFactory resolved

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Thu Aug 29 20:56:28 BST 2002

On Wednesday 28 August 2002 19:07, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Wednesday August 28, 2002 02:12, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> > Zitiere Neil Stevens <neil at qualityassistant.com>:
> > > It seems to me that having two similarly named classes different
> > > functionality would be the source of much confusion.  Would it be
> > > possible
> > > to just add alternate create methods to the existing
> > > KPlayObjectFactory?
> >
> > The classes are named similarly, but they have similar functionality.
> > KPlayObjectFactory's use should be deprecated anyway, at least for
> > streaming media.
>
> Aha!  So can you call the new one KStreamingPlayObjectFactory?  That way
> people trying to figure out this stuff by reading the docs will know which
> is which.

Hm, we will have to stick with this name, and in fact the creator can create
both, streaming and nonstreaming objects.

However, Stefan Westerfeld had an alternative Idea: KPlayObjectFactory could
internally use a KPlayObjectCreator, and have an additional
createPlayObject-method like this one:

bool KPlayObjectFactory::createPlayObject(const KURL& url, bool createBUS,
QObject* receiver, const char* slot);

It would be called like this:

factory.createPlayObject(url, createBUS, receiverObject,
SLOT(receiverSlot(KPlayObject*)));

So, we wouldn't need to change the inheritance of KPlayObjectFactory, because
we'd just connect PlayObjectCreators signal to the slot delivered by the
caller...

However, we'd need an additional pointer to the Creator as a member variable,
and I don't see how I can do this binary compatible, as I must not change the
size of the factory objects...

regards,
	matze

--
Matthias Welwarsky
Fachschaft Informatik FH Darmstadt
Email: matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de

"all software sucks equally, but some software is more equal"