Kontact Touch running on Harmattan

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Fri Oct 21 14:23:25 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've begun adopting our Kontact Touch maemo5 fremantle packages to maemo 6
(meego 1.2 Harmattan). Today i was finally able to install and run kdepim
(and sync and send mails etc ;) )

To be honest i was really amazed at how fast and reactive it is on the n950.
It's totally fun after having worked with it on the n900 (or WinCE... ) to
see it now on a handheld device responding as we always thought it should
respond :) We'll probably make a Video to show you.

Currently the installation is a bit itchy because the packaging needs to be
adopted further for Harmattan's file system setup and the "aegis" system. I
just wanted to share what i have so far. I will try to fix the packaging
issues (mostly libgcrypt and gpg-error) and try to get the packages in the
rzr community repository.
Thanks to all working on that repository it was a great help to have most of
the required libraries available already.

There are of course some small improvements necessary to make this nicer on
the platform (like application icons, better font and button sizes etc. ) but
you can already use it a bit and see its potential.

Here is how you can install the current packages:

The packages i did can be downloaded at:
https://files.kolab.org/local/maemo/dists/harmattan/

( deb https://files.kolab.org/local/maemo/dists/harmattan ./ )

You also need the rzr community repository Laszlo already announced earlier on
this list for some additional dependencies:
deb
http://repo.pub.meego.com/home:/rzr:/harmattan/MeeGo_1.2_Harmattan_Maemo.org_MeeGo_1.2_Harmattan_standard/ ./

Then you can install Kontact-Touch by installing the "kdepim-mobile"
metapackage.
It is a bit problematic atm, Kontact Touch needs gnupg2 and since gnupg was
improved during the work on Kontact Touch i wanted to have a recent version
of gnupg but that depends on newer libraries of gcrypt and gpg-error then
nokia provides so you have to remove libgcrypt11 and libgpg-error0 with
dpkg --force-depends --remove to update them.

I will try to work around that issue (which also causes the harmattan platform
package to conflict) by changing the name of those packages later. Also there
is an error configuring dirmngr because you can't change the group ownership
of files in /var i've ignored that for now but this also needs to be fixed in
packaging.

Have fun,
Andre

Photos (apologies for the bad quality):