[Kde-mobile-users] New packages for N900?

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun May 29 17:21:11 CEST 2011

On Friday 27 May 2011 11:40:12 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 25. Mai 2011 16:29:59 schrieb Rolf Eike Beer:
> > It has been rather quiet here. Also the experimental repo doesn't show
> > any new packages since a long while. What has happened?

The reason that you don't see new packages is that the autobuilder for them is
using the komo3 branch, not any of the actively developed ones (4.6 or master
for example).

> Kontact Touch on the N900 was a side product of a project
> by a number of companies. The HTC Touch Pro2 version was the real
> target platform. The project got accepted and concluded,
> which means there are no fund for paid development right now.

Which does not mean nothing is happening. Focus has slightly shifted back to
the desktop versions, but since the code is largely shared, many fixes and
performance improvements made there benefit the mobile version as well.

> Attempts to find new funds for continuing development for MeeGo based phones
> also did not work out, for the obvious reason that Nokia stopped producing
> MeeGo based phones.

Despite the lack of funding, there actually are MeeGo packages for KDE PIM,
and they also caused a number of fixes and improvements for Kontact Touch that
are not available in the Maemo 5 packages yet.

> The other players in the community did not pick Kontact Touch development,
> so there are no interesting new developments right now. The client is
> working quite well once configured okay, so we have a number of report for
> it of consuming unsual much CPU. This has not been reliably reproduced.

There have been quite some fixes for those issues on the desktop, in code
shared with the mobile apps, but it still has to be verified if it helps on
the N900 as well.

> Help with development or anything else is highly appreciated,
> this is just us, the Kontact Touch community. :)

Switching the autobuilder to master or at least 4.6 would be a good start ;)

regards
Volker