The MeeGo conference BoF session preparation

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 14:29:53 CET 2010

On Wednesday 10 November 2010, Bart Cerneels wrote:
> Hi all in To:
>
> You all sort of volunteered (if this is news for you, sorry but read
> on ;) ) to present at the MeeGo summit BoF session titled "Developing
> a MeeGo interface for your desktop app". This is described as being
> good advice from experienced Qt developers to (potential) MeeGo
> developers in porting existing applications. Obviously, porting is a
> big part of the KDE mobile initiative.
>
> I'll be hosting the session. I'll start of with an introduction,
> summary and discussion topics. But what I would like each of you to do
> is make some slides with the tips and tricks you like to share with a
> bigger audience. You should expect that audience to be unaware of KDE
> mobile, so don't be afraid to rehash old blog posts, etc.
> The slides should be completely static, ~5 slides long, taking no more then
> 5 minutes to present (excluding Q/A), using this template [1] and send to
> me no later
> then Sunday 14/11 @ 21:00 Dublin time. Use of screenshots is highly
> recommended, just back them up with a smooth story.

this is a very early quick and dirty thing, i was thinking about something on
those lines
http://www.notmart.org/misc/meego_summit_plasma.odp

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn't have time to build it to
scale or to paint it." (cit)

> #kde-meego is the dedicated "war room" get on there if you want to
> discuss, but mainly so I can contact you fast. I'll try to be present
> from now until Tuesday. Also, please subscribe to kde-mobile at kde.org,
> we'll continue this there. Also send replies there.

"Oooooooooooo Warriors...Come out and Playeyay" (cit)

> On Monday 15/11, i.e. the first day of the conference I'll stalk each
> of you until until I get everyones slides. I'll integrated them into
> one PDF to put on my laptop. We'll do this lightning talk style, i.e.
> you can't use your own laptop.
>
> The slides are there for two reasons: to get everyone up to speed and
> to serve as a reference point for the following discussion. Exactly
> what the discussion topics will be I don't know yet, it's going to be
> either hard core KDE-mobile architecture and UX or more generic Qt app
> to mobile porting. It all depends on the audience.
>
> I plan to load up some already functioning apps on my N900 and laptop
> (X201 tablet -> multitouch), If you got some demo's you want to have
> loaded up, send me an archive an be prepared to support me to compile
> it.

hmm, for me, maybe plasma mobile, tablet profile on the tablet laptop, if it
has a normal kde setup should be pretty trivial to get it going.
the qtcomponents thing that i shown in the last blog entry however is a bit
more painful to get it working (needs libmeegotouch and qtcomponents
installed)

Cheers,
Marco Martin