[Kde-mobile-users] Bjorn's diary request, n900

Bjoern Ricks bjoern.ricks at intevation.de
Thu Aug 5 12:41:00 CEST 2010

Hi,

> I tried installing the experimental packages. Those -- after a 70+ MB
> download -- got me a "broken package" error message, and a "yes / no"
> question. Cicking "yes" downloaded an additional 98kB, then repeated the
> question. Sorry, I don't remember exactly what it was.
>
> The unstable packages installed in one go.

Please use always unstable. We are testing unstable packages more carefully.

> Starting KMail took a long time. So long that I thought it had crashed, but
> eventually it came up. It showed a black screen labeled KMail for a bit,
> then returned to the desktop for a while, then gave me a white screen with
> a black rectangle or other rendering error for another 15 seconds, then
> showed kmail. There's no first-run wizard, so it took a bit for me to find
> out that you have to drag out the left-hand slider and choose new account.

On my device with an already configured account the startup takes ~ 2.5 min
for startup. The initial startup on a clean device takes some more time
because e.g. the ksycoca are created.

We are working on a splash screen at initial startup which will be included in
the next packages. We did write some sentences about the interface at
http://userbase.kde.org/Kontact_Mobile#Using_it:_Ideas_and_Concepts but we
are really interested in opinions how to improve our concepts.

> Grabbing that slider/tab thing is  difficult because it doesn't react
> quickly. Item selection in the menu that then shows is fiddly because it
> uses a light blue highlight on a light grey background. I can't see very
> well if i've tapped on something.
>
> The new account wizard .. yesterday I got it to start, and on the first
> page (name, email address) I noticed that the email entry is difficult
> because the keyboard isn't handled correctly. If I enter "groot" and then
> want an "@" I press and hold the spacebar. In every other (?) application
> this types a space, which then shortly thereafter is replaced by a "@".
> Here, the space gets eaten (isn't displayed) and the "@" overwrites the
> "t".

As I understud the developers correctly this is an issue with qt packages.
Every new qt package contains some suprises.

> Today, the new account wizard doesn't want to appear, so I can't say what
> happens after that first screen.
>
> After running KMail and exiting it again, the device feels very sluggish in
> other use. There's still a virtuoso, a mysqld, 13 akonadi processes and 7
> nepomuk stubs and a nepomukserver left. Killing all the akonadi's and
> nepomuks (kill `pgrep akonadi` `pgrep nepomuk`) makes the device acceptably
> snappy.
>
> So I haven't managed to use the PIM suite on n900 yet, but once it runs (at
> all) I'll be happy to keep a diary for it.

We'll keep you up to date and send an announcement to the list if some new
packages arrived.

--
Bjoern Ricks |  ++49-541-335083-167  |  http://www.intevation.de/