Install presence

Christoph Cullmann christoph at cullmann.io
Mon Jun 21 11:41:03 BST 2021

On 2021-06-21 09:18, Ian Wadham wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> It’s nice to see you again. Welcome back.
>
>> On 21 Jun 2021, at 12:53 pm, Jeremy Whiting <jpwhiting at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> Just to throw in my 2 cents too. I recently used KMyMoney on mac while
>> I was waiting for a new laptop to arrive in the mail. The dmg from the
>> build factory worked well during the week I was using it on macos, but
>> it definitely didn't look as native as many other Qt applications do
>> on MacOS. Likely for the same reasons listed earlier.
>
> BTW, what is the “build factory” and how do I access it? As you infer,
> building KDE apps on Apple OSX is only part of the battle. Getting
> some KDE apps to run and look the same as on a Plasma desktop is not
> so easy. In their raw state on KDE 4, apps would not load any kind of
> plugin, some messages and text would appear in black on a black
> background and Dr Konqi never worked (until I fixed it), so bug
> reports to KDE from Apple Mac never came with the required backtrace,
> meaning that reports from Mac users were ignored by KDE developers.
> René and I fixed a lot of those things and René has continued that
> work on into KF5.

Hi,

the "build factory" is

https://binary-factory.kde.org/

Several applications build already on macOS:

https://binary-factory.kde.org/view/MacOS/

Some resulting application bundles are "usable", but by far not perfect.

https://binary-factory.kde.org/view/MacOS/job/Kate_Release_macos/

The tooling behind this (beside that the stuff runs as jenkins jobs) is:

https://community.kde.org/Craft

Greetings
Christoph

--