Install presence

Christoph Cullmann christoph at cullmann.io
Sat Jun 19 11:21:36 BST 2021

Hi,

On 2021-06-19 12:13, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Saturday June 19 2021 11:54:08 Ian Wadham wrote:
>>> Regarding mac, it's the platform I'm the least familiar with. My
>>> impression is that it's better that it's not populated at all than
>>> having every project feel half-baked there.
>
> If you don't hand-tailor applications and do not patch Qt, half-baked
> might be more than you'd get, on Mac; for instance, applications would
> lack all icons that aren't embedded, and will probably not find their
> runtime resources because those will be installed into the wrong
> standard locations. Aleix may know this from his work on KDevelop.
>

> FWIW, I created a Phab. task once about patching the ECM so that Mac
> builds should work a bit better but can still opt to use the standard
> Unixy way of building (= like they are now, for use with patched Qt or
> simply with a hand-tailored build systems). I think that simply went
> forgotten without ever attracting any attention. Idem for questions
> I've posted on the frameworks devel ML since probably a bit before
> that already; it's as if people have moved on to whipping other cats
> (oooohhh ... KDE on mobile...??).
>
>>> We might need someone who
>>> cares to push through. But we also need to know it's worth the
>>> effort.
>
> Be prepared to pay such a person, or (in case of MacPorts) to "bribe"
> the powers that be so that s/he at least gets commit access to the
> official ports tree repository in order to avoid having to fuss and/or
> being tarpitted. (I get the impression that HB is even fussier about
> accepting new entries but IIRC they already have the KF5 frameworks.)
>
>> René, Marko Kaening and I were able to get the KDE 4 apps running much
>> better, but had no way to advertise the fact to users.
>
> Other than the Wiki which is probably not consulted by many. BTW, all
> of the KDE4 apps are maintained by a single person who is of a very
> careful nature (probably understandably given the huge cardhouse he is
> responsible of); Marko sadly died a few years back while we were
> gaining momentum to get an initial selection of KF5 ports up for
> inclusion review.
>
>> So, maybe you are right - regrettably. It would be a huge effort to
>> get current KDE releases to run in MacPorts. I think the MacPorts
>> developers would provide help and advice, but a few years back Marko,
>> René and I repeatedly, repeatedly, repeatedly asked for help and
>> advice from KDE core developers and none was forthcoming.
>
> I doubt that has changed much, with the exception of 1 new maintainer
> who seems to be on a wavelength quite similar to mine.
>
> Right now, if we'd want to get even the KF5 frameworks accepted a
> decision would have to be made how to deal with the Qt5 problem. My
> own patched Qt5 port is designed to be an install alternative for the
> official one (I do have a minimal set of patches for Qt 5.12.6, which
> I've only been able to test on Linux so no guarantees there). I've
> [...]

perhaps I miss something, but the most talk here is now about "how to
get KDE applications into MacPorts".

Actually, to create application bundles outside of the MacPorts world,
the binary-factory.kde.org CI together with Craft
provides already now a "working" solution.

But beside Krita (with own tooling), which does a good job on macOS, no
maintainer to far (including me)
really finalized any of the binary-factory application bundles to a
point one would say there are
non-beta.

e.g. the nightly app bundles for Kate https://kate-editor.org/get-it/
work on macOS and
I use them for some of my work there, but they need polish and we have
no people for that.

I would appreciate help with getting the Kate bundle up to shape,
but I doubt that is something that can be solved with money, one would
just need some
Kate contributor using macOS daily, I don't.

For Windows, we had/have such people and therefore the
binary-factory/Craft variants of Kate
there work reasonable well (and are in the "official" store there).

Greetings
Christoph

--
Ignorance is bliss...