build instructions

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri May 12 12:15:28 UTC 2017

Am Freitag, 12. Mai 2017, 12:39:44 CEST schrieb René J.V. Bertin:
> On Friday May 12 2017 11:58:49 meik michalke wrote:
> >> latter and you don't care about having all-inclusive standalone app
> >> bundles
> >
> >but i do ;-)
>
> Then I can't help you much.

oh :'(

> Can RKWard be built without a (fully functional) R install present?

it needs at least a base installation and will only run with versions it was
compiled for (at least major release-wise). but it compiles with stock
releases from CRAN, i.e., you don't have to use MacPorts R. that is actually
how we build our bundles:
 https://download.kde.org/stable/rkward/0.6.5/mac/
as you can see they're way to large, compared to the windows bundles:
 https://download.kde.org/stable/rkward/0.6.5/win32/
we hope to be able to build smaller packages with craft. but we need to get it
working first ;-)

that said, it would be great if you would like to help us to finish the
migration to kf5 on mac! it builds and runs fine on linux, i've been using the
kf5 version for months already, but we didn't get to test building it on mac
OS yet.

i've been using MacPorts for a while and am totally ok with it, but it's a
show stopper for our regular students to convince them to compile software for
hours just to get a statistics app.

> >does that mean the Qt installation is somehow messed up?
>
> I'd say so. I do have the framework in my 5.9 RC stock install.
> I don't think the 5.9 release is going to take a lot of time so you could
> just use the RC instead of 5.8.0 (there won't be 5.8.1). Unless you want to
> support OS X 10.9 .

can i mix Qt from MacPorts with craft just like that?

> As far as I'm concerned you cannot get a feature-complete KDE experience
> with stock Qt on Mac so I use a patched Qt5 that has a QStandardPaths class
> that returns the familiar XDG-compliant standard locations plus a bunch of
> other tweaks.

hm, so what's the story behind the web instructions? did anybody actually test
them, or is it more like "we guess this might do it"?

> What I care for is KDE applications that work as much as possible as they
> do under Linux, that use shared resources and that support configurable
> look-and-feel. If it weren't for that I'd probably have been able to update
> those instructions.

if it's possible to build the kf5 version of RKWard with MacPorts *and* get a
much smaller bundle in the end, i'm all for it. for me building an installable
package in the end is the most important goal here.

viele grüße :: m.eik

--
  dipl. psych. meik michalke