[KDE/Mac] kde-mac Digest, Vol 76, Issue 7

Jonathan Schultz jonathan at imatix.com
Tue Mar 22 23:19:49 UTC 2016

> So both Okular4 and Okular5 have the same issue? Do you know what
> backend is used - poppler?

Yes, the backend is poppler.

> Maybe I should make some time to make a preliminary port for Okular5,
> and check for myself...

Does the standard Okular4 render PDFs correctly for you then on a
physical Mac? It seems to me that is the first thing to establish,
especially if you suspect that the problem is the VM. The only thing is
I don't have access to one, so if anyone can confirm that Okular does or
does not work, that would be a great start.

>> My own interest is in producing software bother leverages okular's
>> existing features (especially its ability to display a wide variety
>> of file formats) and is portable at least to Linux/Windows/OSX. I
>> do want
>
> You are aware that OS X comes with a Preview application that also
> supports a wide variety of file formats?

Yes indeed, but that is just the foundation of what I am building, which
is an open source Qualitative Data Analysis (QDA) package. What it needs
is a way to select and "tag" sections of files. Okular already gets
about 70% of the way there with its annotations. I've already build an
almost useful prototype (https://github.com/jschultz/okular-kf5-tagging
if you are interested) and have it running on Linux and Windows.
Building for Mac is a next step that I am also working on.

> In first instance you'll be able to abstract much if not most of the
> Mac specifics when you're using Qt and KDE. The rendering glitch
> you're seeing is annoying, but the main hurdles will be ensuring the
> application builds, has a GUI as you intended and (ultimately) also
> builds and works when bundled as a standalone app bundle. Qt's native
> macintosh theme and style doesn't always play very well with KDE
> applications (KDE4 or KF5) but from what I understand that is
> something you will be able to see in your OS X VM.

Sure. The VM works pretty well as fas as I know. I've certainly used the
commercial QDA package on it. It doesn't integrate quite as cleanly with
the host as Windows guest OS but it's still quite usable.

> BTW, if you manage to follow my instructions in the other message and
> install Qt5 and KF5 from my macstrop repo, you may have another way
> to test your Okular issue. My qt5-kde port provides a subport for the
> xcb QPA (qt5-kde-x11), meaning you can run at least some Qt5-based
> apps on a remote X display. There's no guarantee it'll work for
> Okular though - it most likely won't if that would require remote
> GLX.

Definitely something to try. It may be a week or two until I find time
but I'll put it on the to-do list.

Cheers,
Jonathan