[KDE/Mac] org.kde.KLauncher service not found [help]

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 18:56:38 UTC 2015

On Thursday October 01 2015 20:21:59 David Faure wrote:

Hi,

> Ignore the .service file thing, that's a dbus activation feature we only started using in KF5.

What's really weird is that I never got this message before. Not from kded4. I am running KDELibs v4.14.10-20-g150d983 which I apparently installed on August 17th. That's within the previous uptime, could be I missed it because of that (though I'm pretty sure I restarted kded4 and other apps from which I got the message).

> What thud really means is that klauncher is not available on the bus. It's supposed to be started at the very beginning, by kdeinit (at least on Linux).
> Check if it's running, and check if it's available on the bus ('qdbus'). Maybe it crashed?

I think it's just not being started. When I start it manually things appear to be fine, but for some reason it appears I also have to start knotify4 manually (both through kdeinit).
What may not help is the fact that the ~/.kde/tmp-<Host> and ~/.kde/tmp-<Host> entries are symlinks pointing to directories in $TMPDIR, which are removed on reboot (but the symlinks are of course left in ~/.kde). That has always been the case, though. Did anything change which might not like stale symlinks in ~/.kde ? ~/.kde/cache-<Host> points to a directory in /var/tmp that does survive reboots.

I just hope that latest security update for 10.9 that I installed today too didn't botch anything.

Oh well ...