[KDE/Mac] Cross-platform with kdeinit5, klauncher5, kded5 and friends

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 00:58:10 UTC 2015

On Friday January 30 2015 16:34:51 Jeremy Whiting wrote:

Hi Jeremy,

> Ok, I took a deep look inside kbuildsycoca5 today. I ran Instruments on it
> and found as Marko already pointed out most of the time spent in there is
> delving deep into /Applications subfolders. I'm not sure exactly what it's
> looking for, mostly .desktop files from what I saw, but it's not finding

No leaves? ;)

Have you tried to figure out *why* it's looking in there? Is that a regression introduced by our QSP patch, or is it because we keep standard locations where it shouldn't be searching?
Do we know why this isn't an issue with kbuildsycoca4?

> any. Traversing the whole tree is time consuming though, and we know it's
> not likely to find .desktop files inside any .app bundles, so I added the
> attached patch and that sped up both kbuildsycoca5 itself (running from the
> terminal manually) as well as makes kded5 responsive from what I can tell.

Sped up how much?
Regardless of where it looks, if the time spent searching remains an issue we could consider tapping into SpotLight to find the files.