[KDE/Mac] OSX/CI: Uses of outdated Q_WS_MAC in KF5 projects

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 22:10:33 UTC 2015

Hello David and Marko,

On 24/01/2015, at 4:28 AM, Marko Käning wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2015, at 18:18 , David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:
>> IMHO submit specific patches or file specific tickets, not a catch-all ticket
>> like "there are still 191 instances of Q_WS_MAC in qtbase", which nobody will
>> ever feel like fixing in one go…

@Marko: About how many instances are there actually?  I hope it is not
                  anywhere near 191...

@David: "191" and "nobody will ever feel like" should not enter into it.  Digia
                 is a company and has commercial Qt customers and paid staff, IIUC.

                 We should not be depending on volunteers from KDE and KDE-Mac
                 or Qt users' groups for this.  Surely it is in Digia's and Qt's commercial
                 interests to investigate, as a matter of priority, what impact the Q_WS_MAC
                 issue might be having on the Qt-Mac 5 product?  If it is not serious,
                 well and good: people can fix the instances as they go along.  But
                 if the impact on Qt-Mac 5 globally *is* serious, somebody should get
                 onto it right away.  Marko or René can report a bug or two "through
                 channels", but I doubt if that can achieve urgent action if it turns out
                 that the problem is serious and affects the whole Qt-Mac 5 product.

> Yes, sure, if we file our own patches that would be the way to go.
>
> I'd like to know, though, whether there is an internal Digia-interest in getting
> this fixed…

So would I.  We should all be grateful that Digia took over Qt, after what happened
to Trolltech and Nokia.  And we should be grateful that Digia continued with the
development of Qt 5.  But Digia's response to this issue so far has been luke-warm.

All the best, Ian W.