[KDE/Mac] kmahjongg on KF5

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Tue Jan 20 09:01:56 UTC 2015

Hi Ian,

On 16 Jan 2015, at 05:33 , Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Marko, you have achieved a great set of results… :-)

:)

> We are looking for testers of KF5+Linux versions of all the KDE Games.
> Would you be interested in helping out, as a break from serious work?

I am not so much into games, sorry… ;-/

But I am cross-posting this anyways, as it might be of interest for KDE's
games developers.

> Aha!  Here we go again?… ;-)  What happens if you start kded5 before you
> start your test?

Ha, kded5 *goes bananas* (as it surely must, I know) and runs kdirwatch on
the /Applications directory and walks into every single application package
it can find in there:
---
$ /opt/kde/install/darwin/mavericks/clang/kf5-qt5/frameworks/kded/inst/Applications/KF5/kded5.app/Contents/MacOS/kded5
.
.
.
kf5.kcoreaddons.kdirwatch: fsWatcher->addPath "/Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/Resources/th.lproj”
.
.
.
kf5.kcoreaddons.kdirwatch: fsWatcher->addPath "/opt/kde/install/darwin/mavericks/clang/kf5-qt5/kde/kdegames/libkdegames/inst/share/kconf_update/kgthemeprovider-migration.upd"
2015-01-20 09:30 kded5[54318] (CarbonCore.framework) FSEventStreamCreate: _FSEventStreamCreate: ERROR: watch_path() failed for '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator.sdk/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/AppleMIDIBluetoothDriver.plugin/Italian.lproj'
kf5.kcoreaddons.kdirwatch: fsWatcher->addPath "/opt/kde/install/darwin/mavericks/clang/kf5-qt5/kde/kdegames/libkdegames/inst/share/kconf_update"
klauncher not running... launching kdeinit
"KLauncher could not be reached via D-Bus. Error when calling kdeinit_exec_wait:
The name org.kde.klauncher5 was not provided by any .service files
"
---
With 20 mins this took really ages here, as it walked through really
EVERYTHING, like e.g. /Applications/Xcode.app which has tons of stuff
installed inside. Think of the developer documentation files… :-/

	I wonder whether this is a feature or a bug!?

!!!  I am sure it is *possible to figure out* whether a specific application
!!!  package belongs to the KF5 ecosystem or not, so that all this unneeded
!!!  filesystem walking would not be needed!!!

As kded5 showed up in the "Activity Monitor" as

	KDE Daemon (Not Responding)      99,8% CPU

As the above wasn’t already crazy enough, turns out that this whole
procedure is going to happen *every time* I start kded5!!!

	"Fantastic"!! :-(((

Well, at least kmahjongg doesn’t complain anymore about a not running
kded5 when I fire it up now. :-)

> Or even just run kbuildsycoca5 after building?

I always run it after building! Although lately I decided to skip this
mostly, as it takes so very long suddenly (1 min). Ben already suggested
to run it through a debugger to figure out why it takes this long (well
a minute is short in comparison to 20...).

> And what happens if you run the Linux/KF5 CI version of KMahjongg?

Oh, I haven’t tried that. I can’t split in half! ;-)

> Thanks for the summary.  I shall pass it on to the KDE Games group.

I am subscribed to that list as well now.

Regards,
Marko

P.S.: BTW, just for the hack of it I tried to run kdeinit5 on the OSX/CI
      system, which results in this (which is, I guess, not surprising):

---
$ /opt/kde/install/darwin/mavericks/clang/kf5-qt5/frameworks/kinit/inst/Applications/KF5/kdeinit5.app/Contents/MacOS/kdeinit5
MVM2:scripts marko$ QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/var/folders/xd/_025xt7j6dggsjd0_6tczq180000gn/T/runtime-marko'
libKF5KIOCore.so.5 was not found.
libKF5Parts.so.5 was not found.
libKF5Plasma.so.5 was not found.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch 'libkdeinit5_klauncher'
kdeinit5: Launched KLauncher, pid = 54371, result = 0
kdeinit5: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
---