[KDE/Mac] QStandardPaths possible solution

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Jan 8 22:57:55 UTC 2015

On Thursday 08 January 2015 11:49:12 Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 11:41 AM, Marko Käning <mk-lists at email.de> wrote:
> > Jeremy, regarding your QSP patch I thought we wanted to replace
> > “/opt/local” by Qt’s install root,
> > which should be available at configure time! THAT would definitely be more
> > welcomed by Qt's reviewers!
>
> Yes, I just haven't yet found out which macro to use for that. I found
> QT_INSTALL_PREFIX, but am not sure if that's the best one to use. David or
> someone later on on qt's gerrit will probably know what to use.

In a sense, QT_INSTALL_DATA looks like a better candidate,
it's set by ./configure --datadir, so it sounds very much like this.
However, its default value doesn't work for us: it defaults to
QT_INSTALL_PREFIX and not to QT_INSTALL_PREFIX/share.

That's quite unfortunate (but impossible to change, I assume it would break
stuff, e.g. if anyone installs stuff in a subdir of the root and then expects
to find it with QLibraryInfo::DataPath + "/subdir" - in a controlled
environment where they know --datadir isn't used...).

So yeah, I guess QT_INSTALL_PREFIX/share is your best bet.
But we'll see if other QtCore people have a better idea.

PS: the last patch I saw didn't use XDG_CONFIG_DIRS, don't you want that as
well?  The idea of XDG_*_HOME floated around too, but I don't know if that one
is as useful, it's irrelevant to the way things are installed, so I would skip
that for now.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5