[KDE/Mac] Help my confusion

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Sat Feb 7 23:27:14 UTC 2015

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 3:24 PM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday February 07 2015 13:16:05 Jeremy Whiting wrote:
>
> Hi Jeremy guru :)
>
> > KIO is failing to build there. It builds fine on a newer machine, but on
> > the old machine I'm getting an error about a missing symbol _environ not
>
> This rings a bell, though of course not related to KF5, nor because I ever
> ran Lion... I take it you googled the error?

/me hides, no I didn't though I did google _environ to see what that was.
Apparently there's some definition in unistd.h but including it isn't
required on some platform. Not sure if that applies here or not.

> What compiler are you using, clang from Xcode? There is something to say
> about using clang, but you may want to look at Jeremy Huddleston's recent
> posts about getting libc++ into MacPorts and older OS X versions. However,
> I would personally instal clang 3.5 through MacPorts (or build your own
> :)), or gcc 4.9 which should still be a 1st class citizen on Lion.

Yeah, I'm using clang from Xcode. cmake.log says it's AppleClang
4.2.0.4250028

> Is that a 64bit machine, or is it old enough to be 32bit only?

I thought it was a 64 bit machine, when it had snow leopard it was 64 bit I
thought, apparently it isn't though. uname -a is showing i386 :/ I know
this machine (Macbook 4,1) is only upgradable to Lion because it only has
32 bit drivers for video, but I didn't think the whole os was 32 bit, maybe
I got the wrong installer or something somehow?