[KDE/Mac] systemsettings, kde-cli-tools and other plasma components on non-Plasma/non-X11 platforms

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 14:53:55 UTC 2015

Sebastian Kügler wrote:

Hello Sebastian,

> I can only speak for myself, I'd welcome patches that
>
> * improve readability, performance or code quality
> * fix bugs on Linux, BSD, X11, Wayland platforms

I may have a few of those (Linux/X11) that pertain to running KF5 applications
from a non-standard prefix. It's not my main focus of interest ATM, but I'll keep
an eye out for fixes I should contribute.

> If you want to run a Plasma workspace on OSX, you're 'probably' on your own
> (but if anyone else on the Plasma team thinks it's a useful or fun exercise,
> you're already two people, so technically not on your own anymore. :)).

No, I don't intend to do that. There is the theoretical possibility to do that
under XQuartz, the OS X version of the XOrg/X11 server. It's always provided the
possibility to run an X11 session "on the other side of the screen" as I used to
call it, a bit like running a BSD/X11 VM but without any virtualisation
software. It *would* be fun to get that up and running, but not feasible with
the current assumptions in the CMake files that Apple =/= X11 and Qt's lack of
official support for the XCB QPA on OS X.

So, no. No full Plasma sessions on OS X as far as I'm concerned.

They could have made a nice desktop for Open/Pure Darwin, but that OS endeavour
is dead in the water.

> A general assumption is that stuff in kde/workspace either isn't suitable or
> really useful on OSX, or that it should move elsewhere (at that point, it may
> make sense to put it into or make it a Framework). You name a few candidates.

Ok, that's about all I'm asking. They wouldn't even have to move for me.