[KDE/Mac] A Catch 22 problem with committing

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 08:25:37 UTC 2014

On Sep 01, 2014, at 09:39, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

>> We are still using KDE 4.12 on Apple Mac and about to start with KDE 4.13, but
>> libs on both of those are closed to backports --- and no longer released(?).  I could
>> commit to KDE 4.14 libs, but there are only a few months left before they close too.
>
> Would it be possible to leave those open for fixes related to platforms on which KF5 cannot be run in "production mode" (i.e. by a nice large user base). I haven't really yet apprehended how long KF5 is supposed to contain KDE4 bacwards compatibility layers, but it seems clear that (platform-specific) improvements/fixes to KDE4 are likely to be useful for KF5 too. At least if my experience with kwallet and kauth are any indication.

Forgot to add: Are there many changes from KDE 4.13(.3) to KDE 4.14(.latest), does it have big changes like the move to Baloo in the transition from .12 to .13? If not, I suppose it'd be very useful to try to move to .14 ASAP, so that we still have time to propose fixes against that branch while it's still open. (We = MacPorts users)