[KDE/Mac] What is happening to the KDE/OSX themes?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 02:23:19 UTC 2014

Hi René,

On 20/10/2014, at 7:07 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Ahhh, I think I just understand the kile issue reported on trac.
> Somehow my nativefiledialog and unifiedtoolbar patches got merged.

"Well, I had one of those once, but the wheels fell off."... :-) [1]

I *think* what you are saying, here and on trac, is that the nativefiledialog
patch has been withdrawn from the latest MacPorts, because it accidentally
included a patch to show a combined header and toolbar, and the latter
patch does not work very well.  This accounts for what I observed.

> Thanks, Ian :)

Always nice to have been of service… :-)

Re the nativefiledialog patch, IIUC the end of the review was that KFileDialog
is deprecated in KF5, in favour of QFileDialog.  But of course all those apps
that use KFileDialog (and there are lots) are going to have to be "ported" to
KF5 before we can see any benefit on Apple OS X.

I thought a useful patch, which could be applied in MacPorts only, would be
to "derail" the six most commonly used methods of KFileDialog so that they
instead call QFileDialog.  Should I have another look at that?

The present nativefiledialog patch is, IIRC, not well understood by you and me.

Cheers, Ian W.

[1] Once when a program had crashed, I asked the computer operator if she
     had "taken a bi-octal dump".  She had no idea what I was talking about, so
     she replied as above… :-)