[KDE/Mac] Upgrade to 4.13.3 in Macports

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 12:08:36 UTC 2014

On 04/10/2014, at 12:22 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On 20141003 14:44, Ian Wadham wrote:
>> Nah!  I used to program real machines back then… :-)
>
> Oh, you're *that* old? :)))

76… :-)

> In Fortran, I suppose? ;)
> PDP-11 or Vax?

I predate the PDP-11 by 4-5 years.  My first language (in
1963) was a thing called Ferranti Autocoder, which was in
between machine language and assembler.

When I started my first computer job in 1964, I learned
Fortran II, which was the only widely-available higher
level language at the time.  The compiler I used ran on
a machine that had only 8k 12-bit words of memory.
I also wrote my first device driver for that machine, in
assembly language of course.

I did not start programming PCs until after I retired, in
1998.  Up till then I had programmed everything from
mainframes to minicomputers… :-)  I have lost count
of the number of higher level languages, assembly
languages, text editors, source-code control systems
and operating systems I have worked in.

To me a "real" machine is one that has more than one
user, preferably 1,000 or more… :-)

All the best, Ian W.