[KDE/Mac] Some issues found while testing branch 'KDE4.13'

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 11:20:47 UTC 2014

Hi Marko,

On 05/10/2014, at 9:21 PM, Marko Käning wrote:
> On 05 Oct 2014, at 04:50 , Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It is due to git revision a01e4ee686f369e4e7d1e7e3a99d68a9b191fe67 on
>> Mon Nov 11 18:12:11 2013.  This added a reset() to KXmlGuiWindow
>> (kdelibs/kdeui/xmlgui/kxmlguiwindow.cpp), to prevent a crash in the main
>> window's code, but it clobbers all children of the main window, including
>> KGoldrunner's message box.
>
> oh. Wow, how did you spot that?

Eyeballing the history, which luckily is rather sparse right now… :-)
https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdelibs/repository/show/kdeui/xmlgui?rev=KDE%2F4.14

>> The change went in just before the release of KDE 4.12...  When I comment out
>> the change and re-install kdelibs, KGoldrunner's message box works OK… :-)
>
> I see.

Oddly enough, the solution is to close() the main window and exit before the KGoldrunner
constructor gets as far as setupGUI() and the reset().  Somehow that keeps the message
boxes and their contents alive…  I will re-check the fix and commit it in the morning.

>> Anyway, the kdelibs change will have to take precedence over KGoldrunner,
>> because that change prevents a crash in the main window.
>
> Hmm, I see. But well, this affects not only KGoldrunner…

I see only KFloppy and KGoldrunner in your list with that problem and KFloppy
is not guaranteed outside Linux and BSD.  And when was the last time you saw
a floppy disk drive on a Mac?  My son's does not even have a CD/DVD drive… :-)

>> Fixing KGoldrunner will be tricky…  ATM it does a lot of checking that the required
>> data files are present (games and levels, mainly) and all of that is done BEFORE
>> creating the GUI, so any error messages will get clobbered.  I'll have to resequence
>> some of the KGoldrunner code --- or just omit the checks and messages… :-(
>
> Please do NOT omit any checks or messages!
> I’ve seen on KF5 what happens if KDE apps do not properly check the
> state of their environment.

The checks will remain.  Without game and level files there is no KGoldrunner game…
I guess the checks are mostly against build/install problems though.

Cheers, Ian W.