[KDE/Mac] Some issues found while testing branch 'KDE4.13'

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 02:50:04 UTC 2014

Hi Marko,

On 02/10/2014, at 4:24 PM, Marko Käning wrote:
> On 02 Oct 2014, at 04:11 , Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That is actually a KMessageBox (Information type). It should be telling you
>> it cannot find the KGoldrunner Handbook and then say where it is looking.
>> There should also be an OK button.
>
> I thought something like that...
>

>> You can get rid of the empty message by closing it, using the red button at top left.
>> Then the game will go on to create and display its main window, menu and demo.
>
> Yes, I did. See my notes for kgoldrunner.
>

>> Curiously, I get the same empty message window from my bog-standard Macports
>> installation of KGoldrunner (KDE 4.12.5), but I have been ignoring it up to now (i.e.
>> just hitting the little red button).
>
> Ha, I see. :)
>

>> Something in kdelibs4 or qt4-mac must have changed and is preventing KGr from
>> displaying a message during the constructor of the main KGoldrunner widget.  It
>> has always worked before (i.e. for about 10 years now).
>
> So, good that we test this!!!

It is due to git revision a01e4ee686f369e4e7d1e7e3a99d68a9b191fe67 on
Mon Nov 11 18:12:11 2013.  This added a reset() to KXmlGuiWindow
(kdelibs/kdeui/xmlgui/kxmlguiwindow.cpp), to prevent a crash in the main
window's code, but it clobbers all children of the main window, including
KGoldrunner's message box.

The change went in just before the release of KDE 4.12...  When I comment out
the change and re-install kdelibs, KGoldrunner's message box works OK… :-)

Anyway, the kdelibs change will have to take precedence over KGoldrunner,
because that change prevents a crash in the main window.

Fixing KGoldrunner will be tricky…  ATM it does a lot of checking that the required
data files are present (games and levels, mainly) and all of that is done BEFORE
creating the GUI, so any error messages will get clobbered.  I'll have to resequence
some of the KGoldrunner code --- or just omit the checks and messages… :-(

Anyway, I'll work out a fix and commit it to KDE 4.14 ASAP.  Thanks for alerting
me to this problem, Marko.

Cheers, Ian W.