[KDE/Mac] Help, Baloo source has moved, how do I build KDE 4.13?

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri May 23 08:13:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi KDE guys,

Hi Ian,

> Using kdesrc-build version 1.16-pre2 to build a KDE software base,
> I find that the Baloo source code has gone missing in the last few
> days.  I am trying to build KDE 4.13 (branch-group stable-qt4, which
> is described by kdesrc-build as "the latest KDE release + bug fixes").
>
> Baloo source used to be in kdelibs.  Now it seems to be in kde-workspace.
>
> Building kde-baseapps calls for baloo-widgets and kfilemetadata to be built
> and that is where my build bombs out, in the CMake phase.
>
> I have been avoiding building kde-workspace up till now,
> because I am trying to build on Apple OS X, which has its own
> desktop environment and its own indexer for that matter.  So
> there should be no need to build either kde-workspace or baloo.
>
> Perhaps I can somehow eliminate the dependency on kfilemetadata
> or baloo-widgets?
>
> I have been trying to do this build for three weeks now and have had
> nearly 50 attempts.  I thought I finally had victory in my grasp until this
> move of Baloo happened.
>
> The build is important because, if I can build a Debug version of KDE libraries,
> utilities and apps, we will have a test platform on which to investigate the
> many KDE software portability problems that exist on Apple OS X, narrow
> down the possible causes and try out solutions.
>
> Also I have a feeling this Baloo move is going to impede our KDE port
> developer's efforts to port KDE SC 4.13 to MacPorts on Apple OS X.
>
> Any ideas on how to build Baloo ... or not build it?

While I can't answer the question on whether Baloo can be avoided for
OS X, I have corrected the issue.

As Baloo and KFileMetadata are dependencies of KDE 4.x series
applications, namely Gwenview, PIM and Dolphin, the change to move
them both to kde/workspace/ from kde/kdelibs/ has now been reverted.