[KDE/Mac] Warning: Partial upgrade to KDE 4.13.0 is UNSAFE atm

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue May 13 02:55:19 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

As you know I have successfully compiled and built some
core KDE 4.13.0 modules and libraries, using the Portfiles
and patches Nicolas sent me.

At first it seemed as if the KDE 4.12.4 apps were working
fine with the KDE 4.13.0 libraries and Qt 4.8.6, but now
serious problem has emerged.

It appears that I have somehow broken KIO, so now
things like file-open dialogs and file-opens using KIO
are simply not working.  They lead to exit 255 after
dozens of console log messages involving KIO.

For example, I cannot load or save KSudoku games and,
worse still, KMyMoney exits soon after starting (i.e. when
it goes to open my accounts file).

Luckily I have just completed our annual accounts and our
tax refund is on its way … :-)

I have reactivated KDE 4.12.4 modules and libraries,
but KMyMoney and KSudoku are still failing somewhere
in KIO.

So my advice is NOT to install a partial KDE 4.13.0 UNLESS
you can isolate it completely from your regular KDE work.

I presume KMyMoney with KDE 4.12.4 does run OK under
normal circumstances.  I think I must have used that version
a month ago.  It has been about two months since I saved or
re-loaded a KSudoku file and I am sure that was before I
upgraded to KDE 4.12.4.

ATM I cannot tell what is causing the problems:
    1. Incompatibilities between apps and libraries/processes,
    2. Outdated cache or config files,
    3. A non-portability in KIO,
    4. A bug in KIO/Qt.
Perhaps a mix of the above.

Re points 3 and 4, there has been a lot of commit activity
on KIO in the last few months and there are moves in progress
to deprecate some KDE dialog and I/O functionality and switch
to similar functionality in Qt 4.8 or Qt 5, e.g. use QUrl not KUrl.
See http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Porting_Notes

Confused, Ian W.