[KDE/Mac] Something new re the meinproc4 problem?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri May 2 03:55:21 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

In the last few days I have been trying to build KDE 4.13 directly from
the KDE Project repositories, using kdesrc-build, a set of Perl scripts
for building KDE modules from source code. [1]

It has downloaded and compiled kdelibs successfully, picking up
dependencies from within my OS X and MacPorts environment.
But when it goes to *build* kdelibs, guess what … the meinproc4
bug crashes the build and it is *completely* repeatable.

Could this be light at the end of the tunnel?  Or am I jumping at
shadows?  That is what I would like to know.

The build crashes after meinproc4 has been built from source
and before meinproc4 (or anything else) has been installed.
It crashes when the very first index.docbook comes along to
be built, using the newly compiled and as yet uninstalled
meinproc4 executable.  See the attached extract of a build.log
saved by kdesrc-build.

Re-running kdesrc-build with Debug on, I obtained the attached
crash report from the Console utility.  This is something different
from the crash point we have been focussing on earlier.  The
meinproc4 run has gone beyond its initialisation and is crashing
in the XML libraries it uses to "transform" the index.docbook file
into a compressed set of HTML pages and image files.

Then I had a look at the cmake.log saved by kdesrc-build,
and something weird is happening.  The KDoctools section of
kdelibs, which contains meinproc4, specifies direct dependencies
on libxslt and libxml2 (in its CMakeLists.txt file, as attached).  Lines
371-2 of the cmake.log file shows them being found in /usr/lib/libxslt.dylib
(no version) and /opt/local/lib/libxml2.dylib (found version "2.9.1").
Actually I have both of them installed in MacPorts.

Now I know that MacPorts does not like mixing /usr/local/ with
/opt/local/ [2], but what about /usr/?  After a bit of diff'ing I found
that the include files for libxslt differ between /usr/include/ and
/opt/local/include/, although meinproc4 compiled OK.

Also I found in the cmake.log that libz and libbz2 are obtained
from /usr/lib rather than Macports and there is a warning at
line 1188 of the log about this.  BTW, AFAIK none of libxslt,
libxml2, libz or libbz2 are listed as direct dependencies of
kdelibs, although they in fact *are*.  They do come in as
dependencies in the Nepomuk chain.  But I am building
kdelibs with the Nepomuk chain already present in MacPorts.

So is there something wrong about all this and could it be
related to the meinproc4 problem?  Has it been because of
conflictingversions of libraries?  Or am I just klutzing around?

Any ideas?

Cheers, Ian W.

[1] http://kdesrc-build.kde.org/
      http://kdesrc-build.kde.org/documentation/index.html